The administration of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria, has officially announced a significant reduction in the sundry charges payable by its students.
This decision comes after a meeting between the university management and the leadership of the Students Union on Monday, September 25, 2023.
In a statement released by Abiodun Olarewaju, the Public Relations Officer of the institution, this fee reduction has been described as an act of goodwill on the part of the university’s management.
During the meeting, student leaders had advocated for a 50% reduction in charges, but the university management clarified that the adjusted fees were the minimum required for the efficient operation of the institution.
Professor Adebayo Bamire, the Vice-Chancellor of OAU, announced the revised charges for both returning and new students across various faculties. The adjustments are as follows:
For Students in Humanities:
- Returning students’ initial sundry charges of N89,200 have been reduced to N76,000.
- New students in the Humanities, who were initially charged N151,200, will now pay N131,000.
For Students in Sciences and Technology:
- Returning students will now pay N86,000 instead of the initial N101,200.
- New students in the same faculties will pay N141,000, down from the initial N163,200.
For Students in Pharmacy and the College of Health Sciences:
- Returning students’ initial charges of N128,200 have been reduced to N109,000.
- New students in these faculties will now pay N164,000 instead of the initial N190,000.
The university has also allowed students to make payments in two equal installments. The OAU student portal has been reopened to facilitate these payments.
This decision to lower fees follows a series of discussions between the student body and the university administration, with the aim of ensuring accessible education without compromising the institution’s operational needs.